Tuesday, August 02, 2005

bologna is hot and deserted

when will I learn?:
1. You cannot overemphasize "not too short" with hairdressers. I went for my emergency haircut with a photo in hand of a model with the perfect cut for me. I now have no hair, and do not resemble the photo in the least. TOO SHORT! it's cute anyway and I can show off all my dangly earrings. Italian hairdressers have it in for me.
2. You can overdo it with anchovies.
3. When Romans tell you a place is hot, it is very very hot. I was warned about BO.
4. Nothing happens in Italy in August. Disregard any advice that says ferragosto (aug. 15) is the beginning of vacations.
5. The library opens when it opens, not when it is supposed to open.
6. I cannot consume a kilo of apricots. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, dessert...there are still too many to eat before they go bad. They just look so pretty I can't resist getting a sackful.

what have I learned?:
1. I like tube tops. I would never have imaginged it, but I'm skinny enough to pull it off. And there are positive side effects like better deals at the produce market (I'm terrible, I know, don't be so scandalized, mom). Negative side effects: catcalls from 12 year olds.
2. I love bicycles. With my roommates gone I have the run of the household AND the use of their bikes. I'm liberated! pedaling around the city quickly.
3. Buying extra pairs of linen pants on sale is a good idea. I found a great pair that looks good on me and went back to get more in another color. I'm living in them.
4. When Dad made us wake up before dawn on the farm to do work before the sun got too strong, he was right. This makes sense on a farm. He's taken to a ridiculous nth degree. Here, I have trouble sleeping past 6:30 lately; by 10 I have to flee the apartment in search of a cooler place to work.
5. Moms are moms. I had to reassure Marta's that she hasn't been taken hostage by terrorists, she just left her cell phone charger in Rome - so isn't answering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home